My name is Lindsay and this is just so I don't feel guilty for not keeping a written journal...


Saturday, June 2, 2012

Now you get to read aaaaall about my second marathon

I decided, this year, to follow wise advice.

In the first 6 miles I passed NO ONE.  (This doesn't count anyone walking.)  It drove me crazy.  Excitement was high and I just wanted to bust free of the crowd with impressive speed and swan-like grace.  ...That's right.  -I told myself, Lindsay, save it for the last 6 miles.  Save it.

I walked through the water stations.  Just about 30 feet every 2-3 miles.  I took long steps and stretched and drank and pottied occasionally.  (To the gal who took for.e.ver. in the bathroom- you owe me 4 minutes.)

I enjoyed it.  (Much easier this year with the temperature in the upper 50's.  Last year it reached a stupid 84 degrees.)  I took time to wave and smile and thank the volunteers.  I cheered and applauded the local high-school band, playing under the bridge.  I chatted a bit with fellow runners.  I leaped and flailed when I saw my mom waiting at the turnaround.  I made a couple phone calls to share my good time.  I even savored the 2 hours of drizzle.  (Hey, it wasn't downpour!  And waaaaay better than heat.)

In the last 6 miles I passed EVERYONE.  Well, not everyone but by mile 20 I decided it was time to see what I got.  One runner at a time, I would focus on the person ahead of me and steadily pass them.  Thanks to holding back in the beginning I had a nice reserve of spunky energy and I should have kept track of how many I passed.  It was lots.   

But that's not what it's about, is it?

Last year I finished in 5 hours and 2 minutes.

This year....

..

...

(drum roll)

....

.....

4:21!!!!!


So I'm feeling stiff and stupendous today!  I have a strong, healthy body that let's me do cool things.  I have two COOLER THAN WHIP friends who worried that they wouldn't even finish.  Man, did they ever!  No prob!!  I have a magnificent mom who, while at my beckon call with cheers, snacks, pain killers and ice-cream, also ran out to join me for the last few miles.

I am blessed.

And tired.

g'night friends!



9 comments:

Solana said...

YAY!! You are as awesome as skittles! :)

Brenda said...

I'll bet it was LESS than 4:22 because you started out at the back of the mob. It took you several minutes to even get to the start line. So .... you were likely under 4:20. And if that girl hadn't taken so long in the porta-potty .....

Maecy said...

You are the coolest. Way to inspire a gal... Well, at least to contemplation, not any action yet:) Happy for you!

Sue O said...

Great going, Lindsay.
BTW, did you get an early morning phone call, wishing you good luck? From someone who shall remain nameless, because she thought I was you this morning.

Unknown said...

i wanna be like you who who! i wanna walk like you, talk like you you who who!

Christy Jones said...

Go Lindsay!! I am so excited for you that you got such a great time and such amazing weather!! Your awesome!

Kara said...

pretty awesome!

L.E. said...

you are awesome. Seriously awesome.

Cristin said...

You rock!!! You make me want to be a runner.

Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog