My name is Lindsay and this is just so I don't feel guilty for not keeping a written journal...


Sunday, April 10, 2011

mustering up something brilliant

I've got to make time to exercise my brain.  Days full of kid-goo and house-guck tend to wear on my intellect.  (OK, there wasn't much there to begin with.  I mean, my parents are cousins...) 

Like today, the kids and I were headed to my in-laws and for a good 15 minutes Brenda is practically having a seizure in the back seat. 

Garret!!  Don't eat the sock! NO!!  No Garret!!!  AAAAHH!  PUT THE SOCK DOWN.  NO!  NO TONGUE!  NO TONGUE GARRET!!  DON'T EAT THE SOCK!!!!!   AAAAHH!!!

Garret (being Garret) had a sock in his hand and was tapping it to his face.  To defend my sanity my only option was to sing the Star Wars theme song.  (I would have much rather talked about our Sunday school lessons, or the old farmhouses we passed along the way.)

Tonight I'll be cleaning up all the paper bits that Garret has smashed, chewed, and flung in delight.  Such a waste.  Perfectly good toilet paper, paper towels, and what's this?  Brenda's homework??  Well, so much for that!  I'm starting to go cross-eyed...  

And maybe tomorrow,
after a totally-unfair game of hide-and-seek with Suzie, I'll want to discuss the book I'm reading...  

So, Suzie, I'm fascinated by the culture of the Mongolian Bushmen.  What is it about their ancient healing rituals that translates into modern medicine?  ...Suzie gives me a blank stare, puts out her hand and says, "Cookie".

OK, the conversation is more likely to be about 'Project Runway' but you get my drift...


Someday there will be no such thing as dirty dishes, diapers, and tantrums and I can have fun pretending to be sophisticated and refined.  In the meantime I'll be spending a few minutes every day banging my head into the wall with the music of Barney serenading me in the background.

Whatever.  It's a good thing they're so DANG cute...

8 comments:

DeAnn said...

Thanks for making me laugh with this post. Some days it does feel like this will be our life FOREVER, but sadly (and thankfully), they do grow up.

Brenda said...

You are soooo hilarious! (And you are welcome to blame everything on that weird inter-relation thing, as technically you and I are 4th cousins once removed, and you and your sibs are 5th cousins, and you and your nephews are 5th cousins once removed ....... and I guess that makes your own kids 6th cousins.) I loved the comment last night, "Our kids are all marrying CONVERTS!"

Radke said...

This was quite funny and I really needed it today. My day is going similarly unwell. It always makes me feel better to know that I am in a similar boat as my friends. My kids aren't the only ones that drive me crazy:) We will get through it and have fun stories to tell our kids when they grow up.

GoofyJ said...

ha ha ha! I so relate to the star wars theme song! We were hiking a few years ago - it was Jacob's first real hike and in order to keep him going we were singing Star Wars and Superman theme songs along the trail at the top of our lungs. It was awesome! :-D

Kerry said...

Jordan has switched from Elmo to Barney and Strawberry Shortcake... I do not know what is worse,lol.. I think that everyone should bang their heads several times a day...I am just waiting to see what the preteen and teenage hormones bring, maybe Garret and Jordan on long leashes in a very large backyard..haha..

Barbara said...

I was wondering why your head looked "that way".

DebZ said...

You all crack me up! Thanks for the chuckles! Like I've always said: INSANITY IS HEREDITARY. YOU GET IT FROM YOUR KIDS! While raising kids, it sometimes helps to be a little insane, wouldn't you agree? :-D

The Good Life said...

Omg! You crack me up! This is HILARIOUS!!! No I'm not laughing at you I'm laughing WITH you! :D You have such a great outlook on life. I hope that when I have more kids running around, and when my step sons come visit this summer, I can have a sense of humor about all their mischievous behavior. :)

Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog