My name is Lindsay and this is just so I don't feel guilty for not keeping a written journal...


Sunday, September 5, 2010

stigmas with sharpened pencils

I don't home school my kids. Honestly, I don't really want to. But I hope that if the need to came along I would rise to the challenge and, perhaps, do all right.

I've had conversations concerning the subject and people seem to have strong feelings either for or against it. I give it a whole-hearted thumbs up! And after conversations with people of differing opinions I decided to do a little research in the facts.

Here are a few I found-

*Recent studies demonstrate that 98% of home taught children are involved in two or more social/community beyond the home each week, including such things as 4-H, Bible Clubs, Scouts, Ballet Classes, Music Lessons, Sports, Field Trips and Sunday School.

*The Galloway-Sutton Study, which examines five success indicators, showed home schooled children (with the exception of the psychomotor) excelling above other students in the academic, cognitive, spiritual and affective-social categories.


*ACT: (2002 and 2003) homeschool average was 22.5, national average was 20.8.
SAT ( 2002) homeschool average was 1092, national average, 1020.

*More than 74% of home schooled adults 18-24 years-old have taken college classes as opposed to 46% of the general population.


I checked multiple sites to be sure I was getting real stats.

Another concern is socialization and as I read articles the answer was the same. On average, HS kids show more maturity in dealing with their peers and respecting adults, and have better adaptation skills in social situations.

I feel I should add that our devoted school teachers out there are needed and appreciated for their hard work. Certainly home-schooling is not for anybody on a whim! But as this was all swimming around my head, I thought I'd put this out there because there seems to be such a stigma with the whole concept. And the moms I know that spend their days adapting lessons to their kids individual needs ought to get a shout out.
You seriously ROCK!

So this week, as I send Garret and Brenda off to their classrooms, I feel grateful for the teachers who so patiently and professionally enrich my kids' lives. You ALSO ROCK!! For now, I believe my kids are where they need to be. (The public-school special-ed programs are where angels dwell...)

And someday, if the need did arise, I'd feel satisfied knowing that there are parents out there who make this home-schooling look good. Though it would be a 'hard pill to swallow' perhaps I could be one of them?

Exciting week ahead...

We're back to school!!!

...any thoughts?

11 comments:

Brenda said...

I agree with all your stats; however, I have good memories about school in my childhood. I would not have met some wonderful friends and teachers had I been home-schooled (which in my case was not an option). Had I not been in my 1st grade class, my best friend Jan would probably not have become a major part of my life, and that would have been a huge loss to me. Maybe the best of both worlds is a good school with very involved parents? Pros and cons. Plus back in my day, we were allowed to pray in school and you never heard a swear word. But also girls had to wear dresses which made climbing on the monkey bars kind of challenging. Different world back then.

Happy first day of school!

Christy Jones said...

I too have thought about home schooling. My sister did it and it worked well for Sarah. I have gone back and forth on the idea. Mostly what it came down to for me was how much my children love going to school, I mentioned Home schooling to them once and they were not excited about the idea! I think if school became a place they hated to go I would consider it again.

Solana said...

Agreed! Teachers ROck! (:

DeAnn said...

I almost home schooled Natalie this year but in the end pushed for her to go to school and fortunately it was what she really wanted to do. I think it totally depends on the child and the parent(s).

Sue O said...

On behalf of Bethany, I thank you. Home schooling is not for wimps, but sometimes it is the right thing to do. The whole social thing is bunkum. No kid NEEDS the kind of social interactions they get in school these days.

Bethany said...

Wow, good post Lindsay! I feel like I should just put a link on my blog to yours! BTW, I think you would make an awesome homeschooler! But you're right it's definitely not for everyone. It takes a lot of prayer and research to decide if it's right for your family. A friend of mine, who also homeschools, had this to say about peoples' questions on the social aspect: There is a huge difference between *socialization* and *socializing*. SO, SO true!

Radke said...

I am always amazed by those who can home school. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication. I would love to home school, but am afraid it wouldn't work well because my girls and I clash a lot of the time. We are all so stubborn and hard-headed. So we do the public school thing, though we agonized over public and private schooling. Private schooling is so expensive and not necessarily better. So we opted for the cheaper one and are very involved. All summer I have been working with Katana in a workbook to help her with reading, math, and comprehension. She seems to be way ahead of the curve. I plan to continue studying with her through the school year as well. I think teaching is a hard thing and am impressed by those who do it in schools. I definitely couldn't cope with 20-30 5 year olds at once. I feel that if parents take an active role in the education of their children, they will learn so much more and enjoy the experience better than those who don't have that influence.

hopeE said...

As someone who homeschooled for MANY years and is now mainstreaming my daughter I feel that what it all comes down to is the RIGHT of the parent to do what is RIGHT for their child. We have the right to step in and advocate for our child! If stepping in means homeschooling...then, great...Step up to the plate! Homeschooling is a highly personal decision. For me it was worth it. I had 5 extra years with my daughter, bonding and now she's excited to be in school as opposed to disgruntled.
BTW: I'm sure if you ever chose to Homeschool you would ROCK it!!

Lora said...

Oh good - it worked!! Lindsay - that is so funny that you wrote about home schooling. I have been having the exact same dilemma this year in my head, with some pressure from homeschooling friends. Pros, cons, and then back again. I have several friends who do home school and I can totally see both sides. I can see the benefits but I came to the conclusion that in our church we are told to be "in the world but not of it". For me that means that my kids, thus far, will go to public school and learn how to navigate that world in a good way. I can remember many times where I had to stand up on my own for what I knew was right to teachers as well as other students. I would hate for my kids not to have those experiences. I'm like you though - I don't really want to do it honestly! I know how to do it, I just would rather not. But at least I could do it if it was necessary for one of my kids. But for now, Weston LOVES school more than anything and has an LDS teacher from our ward. It is expanding and enriching his world and we are both loving it. So for now, we're also going back to school too!! Hooray! By the way, I also agree, Special Ed. teachers, aids and volunteers are angles - I have met many! And they DO ROCK! Glad your kids have great teachers.

DebZ said...

All of you might be interested in seeing the documentary movie just out titled: WAITING FOR SUPERMAN. Check it out!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog