My name is Lindsay and this is just so I don't feel guilty for not keeping a written journal...


Wednesday, November 16, 2011

spread the word

Every school-day morning at 7:25 a small bus pulls into our driveway.  Brenda goes tearing out with her backpack bouncing hither and thither.  Garret stumbles down the walkway leaning on me for support, trying to get just a little more sleep before getting to his classroom.  There is a cheerful "Good morning!" from their kindest-of-kind driver, Janet.  She and I always chat a moment about RV trips, running, weather, cookies...

Around 3:15 in the afternoon this same bus pulls up to the house again.  Brenda comes tearing out, eager to get to either Mario or her legos.  And I jump on board to unbuckle Garret who is usually giggling.  His classmate, Katherine, often exclaims, "Garret's Mom!  Garret's Mom!".  She'll take my hand and want me to sit with her.  Janet says goodbye to the kids and sometimes apologizes if the bus is late.  Usually it's because the wheelchair lift was acting up again.  Suzie insists on standing at the open front door to wave.  "Bye-bye bus!  BYE!!!"  Janet waves and shouts out her window, "Hi Suzie!  Bye Suzie!!"

I'm not someone who gets all peeved when people use handicapped rhetoric in an insulting way.  The r word (retarded) is shifting in meaning and I say lame but whatever.  When people use "special" as a rude tease rather than a condition description, I just let it go 'cause people say stupid stuff and life is short.  So it surprises me how much "short bus" being used in a derogatory way just gets me steaming.  You'd be lucky to ride that bus.  So just stop it.


Sorry.  This probably doesn't apply to you.

But if it does....

7 comments:

GoofyJ said...

oh yeah, that gets me steaming too, it's always bugged me. I love the way you wrote this post :-D

apiary said...

As a teacher of God's Favorites, its nice that they are using more "long" buses for our kiddos. I wish they would use regular kids on the route too sometimes.

Another perspective: many "reg ed" teachers are biased againts SPED teachers. We have the same education PLUS more, than they do and some of them treat us like "SPEDS". We use many of the same techniques, but break it down even more. We are not baby sitters. It is an honor and privildge to work with these beautiful and favored children.

God bless their beloved parents!

Daughter of Eve said...

It's good to speak out about this issue. Sounds like the funnest of fun bus rides. :)

Brenda said...

I've never before noticed comments about short buses. Now I'll be more tuned in, and probably very vocal. - Grandma Bear

Etta Feinauer said...

Wonderful post, touched my heart.

Mike said...

I heard "short bus" used negatively by a High Councilor in a meeting once. Shocked me as a special needs parent, but unfortunately I didn't say anything at time 'cause I'm generally against over political correctness. I won't make mistake again!

kerry b said...

You are right Lindsay, riding the short bus is an honor.. No overcrowding, seat-belts for safety, and a bus driver who knows your name. I wish I had been lucky enough when I was a kid :)

Gadgets By Spice Up Your Blog